Thursday, October 26, 2006

What's in a Name?

I guess I should finally explain the name of this site shouldn’t I? It’s not really cryptic, but yet it is.. Whooaaa too close to Halloween for that it is.

It’s really simple. When I was registering the domain for my web site Bouncing off the Wall. I toyed with lots of different names. Then I looked down and was reminded that the shirt I was wearing that day, had a Tigger on it. Yea so what else is new. But this particular one also said bouncing off the walls. And the rest is history as they say.

When I designed this page, I was wearing my “It’s a stimmy day” shirt. For those of you who don’t know, “Stimming” is what autistics and a lot of you other Neuro typical people, do for comfort when things get a tad stressful.

Some of us flap, some rock back and forth, some spin. Some even bite their nails. Now just how many of you took your hands out of your mouth or hid them? And how many of you moms stopped rocking back and forth?. Just kidding. I’m sure stimming got that name from the word stimulation. I know I have sensory stimulation problems and when things overwhelm my senses, I feel uncomfortable. One therapy for sensory stimulation problems is to either remove the sensory input or counter it. Some with certain tactile stimulation problems benefit from being tightly hugged, some with auditory stimulation problems will hum to overcome the barrage of other noises. How many of you have had a bratty little brother put his hands over his ears and sing “la la la, I can’t hear you” to drown you out See we’re all around you. wha ha ha JK.

Anyway. That’s the story. It’s probably Good, I didn’t have my Elmo Rules Shirt on that day Huh?

TTFN

Tigg

No comments: